10.29.2006

Les Miz-casting


The first musical Rox ever saw was a touring production of "Les Miserables" in Kansas City about 15 years ago. I knew nothing about it but, of course, "Cats" was sold out. So I gave seven credit cards and paid for a ticket to this show that I couldn't pronounce. It wasn't until intermission that I realized they hadn't spoken a word of dialogue. I was mesmerized and hypnotized by the music, the staging and the emotional chord the cast was literally and figuratively striking! I fell in love with it. And through the years I've seen it at least 8-9 times -- each a different experience whether good or bad but nothing ever lived up to that first time (when does it ever, really?). So, when I heard Les Miz was back on Broadway I had to see it. I saw it over the weekend while it still is in previews. It seems to me, although I could be wrong of course, that they've tightened up the story in order to make it easier for folks to understand (I hadn't realized before that Eponine was the daughter -- or at least in the care- of the hilariously repulsive Inn Keepers for example) So as I sat in my seat (13th row orchestra), I read the Playbill from end-to-end. I noticed, to my surprise, that the fabulous Daphne Ruben Vega (who came to fame as the smoldering and smokey-voiced "Mimi" in "Rent" on Broadway -- but didn't participate in the horrible film last year) was playing one of the most pivital roles in the show...that of struggling and desperate Fontine. I was surprised at the casting of this but couldn't wait to see what she did with it. Well, I don't want this to be as long as the book actually is so I'll break it down for you: the sets, the music, the voices, the leads were all fabulous. There wasn't a weak one in the bunch ... except for Vega. Totally miscast in this role, I actually heard booing from behind me. What? Booing? Not since "Fosse" had I heard so much negative squirming during a song. The girl can act but she simply doesn't have the right voice to pull this one off. However, everyone in the cast is a total hottie -- I especially loved Eponine, Javer and Marius (all hotties with fab, shoot-to-the-rafters voices). So, if you're in NYC and have never seen the show, get a ticket pronto. If you've seen the show and love it, see if they decide to recast Fontine before handing over your AmEx. Overall, TTGP gives the revived "Les Miz" 4 pops out of a six-pack.

No comments:

About Roxie

My photo
Los Angeles/Palm Springs, California, United States
Be. Differently.
Powered By Blogger